Steven J. Crowley, P.E.
The IEEE Standards Association recognizes 20 years of progress in IEEE 802.11.
IEEE 802.11 Wireless Milestones:
- September 1990 – IEEE 802.11 project initiated with the concept of creating a WLAN standard for shared local communications interworking with the successful wired IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) product
- 1997 – Standard released, supported 2 Mb/s data rates in the 2.4 GHz band
- 1999 – Improvements were added for increased data rates in the 2.4 GHz band and availability in the 5 GHz band
- 1999-2009 -The IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN blossomed in the home market. Also, users started to apply the devices to build community networks where incumbent telecommunications providers did not offer service
- 2009 – The IEEE 802.11n amendment provided another ten-fold increase in data rate (now peaking at 600 Mb/s) and added other radio range extension enhancements such as beamsteering
- 2010 and Beyond – The IEEE 802.11 Working Group celebrates 20 years of achievements
- IEEE 802.11 is working to increase data rates another ten-fold, to 5 Gb/s
- IEEE 802.11ac task group will extend IEEE 802.11n-like capabilities in the 5 GHz spectrum
- IEEE 802.11ad task group will develop an extension for operation at 60 GHz
- Other projects underway will provide dynamic management of the air interface, adaptations for vehicular use, mesh operation, interworking with cellular systems, and peer-to-peer link establishment
Leave a Comment
Steve is a consulting wireless engineer who provides support for projects involving technology analysis, standardization, regulation, patent portfolio management, and corporate communication. Clients include vendors, service providers, asset managers, government agencies, and other professional service providers.
"... influencing how we perceive developments in mobile, how we learn about it and what we know." -- Forbes
"For a truly nuanced recap of spectrum policy, his Twitter account is a top source." -- CEA
Steven J. Crowley, P.E.
1629 K Street, N.W. Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20006
Categories3G 3GPP 4G Ad-hoc Networks Antennas Automotive Aviation Backhaul Broadband Cognitive Radio DTV Dynamic Spectrum Access Electronic Warfare Experimental FCC Femtocells Google GPS High Frequency IMT-Advanced Infrastructure Interference LTE LTE-Advanced M2M Military Millimeter-wave Mobile Broadband Propagation Public Safety Radar Satellite Space Communications Spectrum Telemetry Terminals TV Broadcasting UAV Ultra-wideband Unlicensed Video White Space Wi-Fi WiMAX Wireless